Monday, September 24, 2007

Fair Winnings....


Every September brings a small annual agricultural fair to our little hometown. It's a place full of memories for me. I've practically grown up there in some aspects. When I was in high school, you sold food items the whole week, every night from 9th grade to 12th grade. When I was younger, they used to have talent contests for the kids and high school kids. I won my first trophy there for my piano solo. I was in 5th or 6th grade. I was so proud of that trophy!

Well, this year I entered some of my recent knitting projects. People enter everything from produce (fresh and home-canned) to livestock, to arts and crafts. My children entered things, my husband too. Here's some pictures of my winnings. There are (sad to say) not many knitters in this area. So, I got two 1st- place winnings, and one- 2nd place. The little lavender sweater I knit for my youngest daughter, and it's pictured at the top left. It's a simple top down sweater (of course I altered the pattern a bit), and for my efforts and first place, I received $4! WOW! A lot of loot! Hee! Hee!

Next up on the right is a pair of socks (2nd place winners they were). They are knit with Cider Moon Glacier yarn in the Winter Twilight Colorway. I love their yarn, and I hope whatever is brewing at their site is soon settled and done. Now, let me tell you about the sock category for adults (3 entries). The first place socks were pathetic - they were poorly knit (and I'm not being a sore loser, as you'll see if you keep reading). They were made with a self-striping yarn, and I think the judges probably weren't astute enough to realize that the knitter was not making yarn changes - the yarn is just magic. The were scratchy to the touch. YUCK! The third place socks (albeit a big large) were absolutely beautiful (here's where I redeem myself), and should have won first place. So, you see, I really did deserve 2nd place, just not to those crappy, scratchy things, but to the beautiful Paul Bunyan (did I spell that correctly?) socks with the cables.....

Lastly, I entered this little hat that I knitted last winter for my youngest. It won first place - and it was knit in acrylic (did I type that word?) yarn. But she loves it, and she's pleasantly pleased that her hand-knitted items won a prize. You'll once again notice my wonderful photography skills, as evidenced by some part of my hand in the corner of the snap (doesn't "snap" sound English? I just love the English!).

All in all, the fair was fun. My kids got to pet animals, eat lots of healthy food (did I mention that the first night of exhibit entries is 75 cent night?), and generally go to a small, rural fair. It's been part of my heritage since I can remember. And now (drumroll, please) the grand total of my winnings - $9. My pride in the items, and the joy of reminiscing at the fair - priceless!

2 comments:

Luis Majarena said...

Congratulations for being so happy. Gretting from Aragon. I also live in a rural town (medieval town, from the XI century)
http://daroca-lorien.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Bunyan was spelled right -- The English Major