Monday, January 7, 2008

First Finished Object of 2008!


Stats: Boy Beanie
Yarn: Red Heart Super Saver in #971 - Camouflage
Hook - Size I
Started - 1/6/08
Finished - 1/6/08
Started second one 1/6/08.
Here's what happens when you hang out with a hooker (I was going to entitle the post just that..."Hangin' With A Hooker," but I didn't know what kind of comments or people would be directed here then....YIKES)!
This is straight from this book. It is entitled the boy beanie, and let me tell you why I love the hook. You can have a finished object in no time at all. Period. Brief history of my crafting life. I was a hooker before I was a knitter. Actually, to be brutally honest, I did weave those potholders (you know the ones, they fit on the red loom - didn't you have one too?), and did plastic canvas projects as a kid, but those were the good old days (NOT)....my poor parents - everything was done in cheesy canvas and green/gold/orange....sigh. Then somebody, way back when, gave me plastic knitting needles and I learned the garter stitch. No casting on, no binding off, no purl stitch, no more, nothing else. Just plain garter stitch. YEAH, I got bored with that. Knitting had its resurgence again when someone handed me a pair of metal US #9 needles (they were so long I could poke you from across the room while remaining still), and some cotton yarn, and taught me how to knit a simple dishcloth (with yarn overs at the beginning). For the next year, everyone had new dishcloths in every color imaginable. I owned stock in cotton yarn from Walmart.
Then I moved on to counted cross stitch. I actually like that craft still. But alas, I became a cross-stitch snob. No more Aida cloth for me - only linen, thank you very much! DMC floss - ok, when I have to, but I prefer the hand-dyed threads. Ahem.....
So, I'm pluggin' along, happily cross-stitching, and hooking away whenever a new baby came along - you know, Afghan and such (they're short projects for a baby), and I decide to walk into the LYS. MISTAKE! Barrage of color and textures, and oh, how I admired those knitted garments! Bought a few skeins of yarn and some size US #8 needles (my first wooden ones), and the love affair has not stopped. So, to those of you who fear that I may forsake my knitting....NEVER! :) May I occasionally do some other crafts - absolutely! But I have this feeling that I will always return to my knitting. It's really my first love (next to pot holders of course).

3 comments:

Kay said...

oh how nice, and how nice to have completed something already this year. Now get those ends woven into Lauren's project!

Nell said...

You crazy hooker, you! HAHA!

I can't even see that hat. Because it's camo!

nejyerf said...

all this technical talk about knitting all sounds like gibberish and i must confess made my eyes cross.

but the pot holders i understand.

i just bought a set of those looms for my niece and nephew. i'm guessing i'll soon be gifted with pot holders!?!