Thursday, March 5, 2009

When You Wish....

I can't remember when I first started wishing.....probably as a young child. My first really big wish was when I was pregnant with my first child. I was extremely young (a whopping 21 years old) and nervous. I really wanted (and wished for) a daughter, and of course, a healthy one. Well, I got a daughter, but the "healthy" aspect of my wish alluded me. My daughter was born with a really rare, genetic disorder. So rare, that she was only the second known, American patient with the disease. I was devastated. My college career came to a screeching halt. I had to care for my handicapped child, attend therapy sessions, attend doctor's appointments, attend college, and my marriage - well, it failed. I felt terrible. That's when I found out who my friends were, how great my family was, and how big my God was. I found immeasurable grace in the ashes of my life.
The road was and has not been easy. Some days are better than others. Lauren is now sixteen years old. I cannot believe that I just typed that sentence. The gutsy part of me wants to shout at the top of my lungs with joy for all the little things that she has accomplished over the years. These little things have really been huge to us, especially with the bleak diagnosis that we were initially given (she wasn't supposed to live to be a year old). We have been asked by several people why we had never done a program like "Make A Wish" in the past. Some of my friends with children who have special needs have done this program with great success. I always held back. Admitting that Lauren has a terminal diagnosis (whenever terminal may be) was a hard thing to do. I really didn't feel that we would qualify. But my ex-husband did. And last year he pursued this avenue. I am grateful that he did.
Which leads me to the point of this post. Next week, well we are going here. You see, my daughter is the BIGGEST Phillies fan you could ever imagine. And her wish was to meet the team.......just so happens we are meeting the team at Spring training....in Tampa, Florida. There are many surprises in store for Lauren (and I expect us, as well). The generosity of this program is amazing. All parents and all siblings are included in the wish. I have some secrets just bottled up inside waiting to tell you all, but they will have to wait until after our trip. I promise, I'll make DH take some fabulous photos. I am so excited for Lauren. And mostly I'm excited and proud to have a daughter who believes that wishes (and miracles) can come true. To read more about Lauren's story, please visit here.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Praise God from Whom all Blessing Flow!" We are so excited for all of your family and doubly blessed to have grown to love you all during these past sixteen years. We have been truly blessed by your witness and friendship! "We've got a great BIG wonderful God..."
Our prayers are with you and we look forward to learning all about your "secrets" when you get home! Richard and Sandy <><

Kay said...

Spring training sounds like more fun than book club will be....we will miss you Monday night. Have a great trip. Sounds like one Lauren will remember for the rest of her life! Have fun!

Dawn said...

It's so amazing how God works! What a blessing! Have fun!

Kim said...

What a wonderful week you and your family will have! Lauren will be so excited. Enjoy, safe travels and please take lots of photos to share!

peaknits said...

What a touching post today - how exciting for Lauren to see the PHILLIES!! Wow - enjoy that special moment!

Toni said...

What a beautiful young woman she is! I'm excited about her future--all of your futures! Yeah!!

Morticcia said...

I am so happy for Lauren getting her wish to meet the Phillies. One would never ever guess that vital young woman I met in August is *terminal.* She's a blessing.

Morticcia said...

I really needed to add "Aren't we all terminal?!>"

Anonymous said...

Hey great "A" told me about your trip. I hope you all have a wonderful time. Tell Laura to enjoy, which she has no problem doing that. She is a blessing and so is her family. You all have a lot to be thankful for, family with lots of love and faith to see you through the hardles you have had to jump over.
Enjoy and expecting lots of pictures when you all get back.

Along with all your duties, in your spare time you should consider writing a book. Be careful, have a safe trip and lots of fun.

Bev, Nashville

Anonymous said...

I hope you have a great trip and that Lauren really enjoys seeing the Phillies. Just stumbled upon your blog, and I'm glad I did!